New 111 and out-of-hours service starts in Camden in October

The five CCGs in north central London –Camden, Barnet, Enfield, Haringey and Islington – have launched an integrated 111 and out-of-hours service, run by London Central and West Unscheduled Care Collaborative (LCW). The new integrated service was developed by local clinical experts with extensive input from patients across north central London and is based on the latest national guidelines.

What has changed?

This single service combines the 111 service, which LCW already runs, and the GP out-of-hours’ service. Patients will not see any change to how they access these services and will call 111 for urgent health advice, to speak to an out-of-hours doctor, arrange an appointment at one of the out-of-hours’ bases, or a home visit, if appropriate for their medical need. Combining these services under one single provider means that patients will get the right help from a mix of clinical specialists (nurse, GP, pharmacist), meaning they will get help more quickly, spend less time being passed between different parts of the NHS, and will not have to repeat their story multiple times.

Who is running the service?

LCW is a GP-led, not-for-profit social enterprise, with years of experience delivering urgent primary care services. They are working with Barndoc which has run the out-of-hours’ service in Barnet, Enfield and Haringey for several years, and they are committed to ensuring that local doctors continue to be at the forefront of the new service.

How do I use the service?

The 111 telephone number is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and 365 days a year. Calls are free from landlines and mobile phones. People can call 111 when they need medical help or advice for conditions that are urgent but not life-threatening, and they will be directed to the service most appropriate for their health needs. GP out-of-hours services are available so that people with urgent health problems can access primary care when their GP surgery is closed at night or over the weekend. This is accessed by calling 111.