Freedom of Information

What is the right to know?

The Freedom of Information Act 2000 gives people a general right of access to information held by, or on behalf of, public authorities. This promotes a culture of openness and accountability across the public sector.

What sort of information can I request?

In theory, you can request any information that Camden Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) holds, that does not fall under an exemption to the Act. You may not ask for information that is covered by the Data Protection Act 1998.

How do I make a request for information?

Your request must be in writing and can be either posted or emailed to Camden CCG. You will receive a response within 20 working days. The Freedom of Information team at NHS North East London Commissioning Support Unit (NEL CSU) on behalf of Camden CCG and will coordinate all Freedom of Information (FOI) requests.

For postal requests, please send to the following address:

FOI Team
NHS NEL Commissioning Support Unit
Clifton House
75-77 Worship Street

Email requests should be sent to:

Can my request be refused?

There is some information which will not be provided because it is covered under the exemptions set out in the Freedom of Information Act 2000. Where individual classes of information are subject to exemptions, the main reasons are, for example, the protection of commercial interests and personal information under the Data Protection Act 1998.

What information do we publish?

Under the Freedom of Information Act 2000, Camden CCG is required to have a publication scheme which sets out the CCG’s commitment to make the following classes of information routinely available:

  • who we are and what we do
  • what we spend and how we spend it
  • what are priorities are and how we are doing
  • how we make decisions
  • our policies and procedures
  • lists and registers
  • the services we offer.

The details of our publication scheme are available on our website or by contacting the FOI team.

More details are given on the Information Commissioner’s Office website.

Do I need to pay costs?

In most cases the cost of accessing information will be free, but for others there may be a charge. The charges will vary according to how the information is made available and the format. We will let you know in advance the cost and charges that will have to be paid. We will not provide printouts of other organisation's websites.

What about patient records?

There is a separate policy and procedure for accessing personal health records, whereby an individual can request to see their record or request a copy of their notes. Another person can only access your personal health records if you authorise them to do so, which is a formal process

If you want to access your medical health records, you will need to contact your GP surgery and arrange with them to either view your records or to request a copy of the records.